- The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.
EXAMPLE: The contrast between Clarence(in the 1800's clothes) and the knights in armor is an example of juxtaposition.
- A person's social environment
EXAMPLE: Beyond just the geography and dating of the history, it is the milieu that gives A Connecticut Yankee its special twists and turns.
- What people do or are like during a specific time period
EXAMPLE: Every culture has its own customs, which often seem strange to people who visits from different cultures
-A genre of literature in which individuals or cultures are ridiculed, often to shame target into improvement
EXAMPLE: While often comical in presentation, satire can also be very pointed in its criticism of others
- using the setting and sensory details to create a picture in your mind of what's happening in the story
Example: Any good author describe the setting of a story such that you can visualize it without the help of pictures
- The Atmosphere or feeling the setting creates
EXAMPLE: To change the mood of a story, sometimes all you have to do is change the setting. That is what Mark Twain does in A Connecticut Yankee